Saturday 24th February 2024

I was up early this morning in order to get my last lot of washing done, as it was a beautiful sunny morning, which meant I got everything washed, dried, and ironed very quickly, whilst at the same time starting the task of clearing my room for the last time. This involved a big sort out of all my stuff, as I have accumulated quite a bit over the past couple of years. It felt very sad taking down all the things in my room that have made me feel very at home in it.

I got as much done as I could before heading off into Nuwara Eliya, where there was a farewell lunch at Milano's. Sutharshan, Jesmin and their daughter Adhira were already there when I arrived, then Yas and Hadeeqa, Yad and Jana, and Miggy joined us. It's a great place to eat, as the food is always good, and I enjoyed a final chat with this lovely team of people over some Singapore fried noodles, before heading off into Nuwara Eliya for one last look around.

You will not be surprised that I ended up at The Grand Hotel, to say a final goodbye to the people I know there, particularly Kamal Raj and Sajeevan, who have become good friends since I first met them back in 2019, almost 5 years ago now. I have spent far less time at The Grand Hotel this time round, partly because I have had a fair bit of time away from Nuwara Eliya, but also because prices have more than doubled here in just a few months.

I was back in Blackpool early evening for a final sort out of what I am taking home, what I am leaving here in Sri Lanka, and what I am just giving away in an effort to lighten the load as I travel back across the world to the UK. My room seemed very empty this evening, and not like my room at all, which is good really, as I will find it easier to leave it behind now that it has become so de-personalised. Just one more day tomorrow, and I will be making my way to Colombo.

I didn't take any photographs today, so I have just picked a few from the hundreds of photographs I have accumulated over the years - a folder for each visit - with today's photos all being taken from my first visit to Sri Lanka in 2019. I have always tried very hard to cull them, but there are still so many, and I don't mind because they all bring back such fabulous memories of my time in Sri Lanka.












Comments

  1. Best wishes, Keith, as you embark on your return journey sometime later today (or tomorrow?).
    I have to say I still love the photo of you as the tea picker - all these years on!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024