Thursday 25th January 2024

As explained yesterday, today was a Poya Day, where Buddhists celebrate the full moon, so there is a Poya Day each month, and a double Poya Day for some reason half way through the year, which I was here for on my second trip to Sri Lanka in 2022. It is basically like having a Bank Holiday, as everyone is given a day off, although it also involves abstinence from alcohol, as no alcohol is served to anyone on Poya Days, which is no great hardship for me.

I did take advantage of the Poya Day to sleep in a little longer, but I was still up just after 9. I didn't leave the house today, as Tim Pare and his family were due to arrive. I had thought that would happen late afternoon, but there was still no sign of him by 20:00, so maybe he will arrive much later tonight or even tomorrow. I could have gone into town this afternoon after all, but it didn't matter that much to me, as I had plenty to do here.

I caught up on business emails for Rotary, and I also started to prepare a presentation for the staff training that I am doing on time management at The Royal International School in Kurunegala next month. It was much hotter outside than in today, so I sat outside on the sun to read my next book (having finished my John Grisham last night. I am now reading 'Atomic Habits' by James Clear, which appealed to me because of my Psychology degree).

It did get a bit boring here by the end of the day, and after I had eaten an earlyish dinner this evening I went to my room and snuggled up in my bedcovers, as it was noticeably chilly this evening. I began to warm up as I completed today's blog and my diary. It was very quiet without Miggy, who has gone to Maskeliya for the week, and Meena was upstairs cooking, so I spent the evening alone in my room, mainly getting on with this blog.

There are just a few night photos today, showing a rather hazy full moon and my own Blackpool illuminations, which are a lot less exciting than the ones in the UK.






Comments

  1. That there is a Poya day every month suggests Buddhism is a strong force in Sri Lankan society. Are equivalent Hindu, Muslim or Christian holy days also observed nationally, I wonder, Keith?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024