Saturday 27th January 2024

Although it was Saturday, I was still up very early, as I needed to be in Hatton before 10:00 because I was on a mission to deliver some gifts to one of the Sri Lankan teachers from the last 6-month English Programme that Kavi runs from Bogawantalawa. My friend Mima, who teaches English in the school in Cres, was the volunteer who chatted to this Sri Lankan teacher, and she had given me some gifts for him, which I brought home to Bath, then out to Sri Lanka.

I met Dharma, his wife Dhana, and their little girl Shana, at Hatton bus station, and we went for a cup of tea together. Daya was free today, and so he joined us. Dharma is a primary teacher, and he was on the 6th cohort of training. His wife, Dhana, who is a secondary teacher of Physical Education, is now part of the 7th cohort, which is great for Mima, as she will be able to continue to have conversations with Dhana now, but still say hello to Dharma as well.

Jeevan, a friend I made at The Grand Hotel in 2019, had invited me for lunch today, and Daya was invited too, so we took the bus from Hatton back towards Nuwara Eliya, and got off at Lindula. It was such a pleasure to meet his family, which is an extended family, in that two brothers and their families share what was their parents' home, and is the home that Jeevan and his brother Dilukshan have lived in all their lives, with their cousins more like another brother and sister.

Jeevan's mother cooked us a very traditional Sri Lankan meal, with all the foods that I have now got so used to, and absolutely love, so it was a real treat to have lunch there. I just love the people here because they are so warm and welcoming, and they really make you feel at home, despite the big differences in culture, one of which being that they serve guests separately, so you don't actually sit down to eat with them, which I do find a shame really.

Today's photos are from my meeting in Hatton and my lunch with Jeevan's lovely family. I have also added the link to the video Daya made today when we met Dharma and his family in Hatton.











Comments

  1. Keith, hi, I enjoyed the video an interesting comment I hope I heard correctly, about one of your graduates working with government schools. Does TLT get much support from the government, either resource or financial given the impact their work is having on so many people’s lives?

    Always good to read what you are doing, take care,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a video of the present-giving brought your experience alive for me, Keith.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024