Tuesday 7th March 2023

Today is my mother's birthday - or it would have been - she died some years ago now on Christmas Day 2008, aged 79. She would have been 94 today! It's a date you just never forget! It also happens to be my last day in Sri Lanka, and my final blog entry on my latest trip out here. What a trip it has been - quite different in some ways - and certainly a month shorter than my two previous trips - but still a memorable one and a wonderful one too!

I was very pleased to be able to meet up with Tim and Liz Westbrook for lunch at a very pleasant restaurant called Upali. They only flew into Colombo yesterday, and it was great to have a catch-up with them over a delicious meal, the highlight of which for me was a dessert of buffalo curd and palm treacle. I had been wanting to try this again throughout this trip, and finally got the opportunity to do so today!

Tim was a huge support to me in the leading and managing of the Rotary International Project, dealing extremely well with the application for the Global Grant and then the financial side of the project generally. I was delighted to tell him that not only is Tea Leaf continuing with a fifth cohort of Sri Lankan Teachers, taught online by Gobi's wife Kavi, but that Colombo West Rotary Club are interested in continuing to fund Tea Leaf to carry on with this excellent project.

After lunch, I took a tuk-tuk back to Colombo Swimming Club, where I enjoyed a final cocktail whilst waiting for my transfer to Colombo Airport and my long journey home. My thanks to all of you who have followed my blog, and for the many comments on it, not least those from my very good friend Charles Hayward, who has been such a regular contributor on the comments front. God-willing, there may well be a fourth edition of my blog in January / February 2024!

Today's photos show Tim and Liz with me at Upali's, plus the view of Colombo outside, and then some last minute shots of Colombo Swimming Club (I'm coming back there I hope!)










Comments

  1. The buffalo curd and palm treacle dessert seems to represent the icing on the cake so far as the success of the trip as a whole is concerned?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024