Tuesday 21st February 2023

It was a rather odd day today, as I had expected to go to Maskeliya, where there was a mass gathering of over 50 staff who now work for Tea Leaf, but I was asked to stay behind, as there was no room for me in the minibus, and work on the KNH Annual Report, which had to be in this evening. I took the opportunity to have a bit of a lie-in, and also sort my washing and ironing out, as it was a sunny day at last.

I got on with editing the KNH Annual Report, the first half of which was fine, but the second half left a lot to be desired. I later discovered that Yad had written the first half of it, so no wonder there was such a difference between the two bits. To be fair, Yad has had so many years now of completing reports in English that she is streets ahead of most of the staff who work for Tea Leaf, and the organisation benefits hugely from that.

I worked hard, and when I had finished it was well past mid-afternoon, so I took a tuk-tuk into town to have a rest at The Grand Hotel. We had already got into Nuwara Eliya when a motorcycle, ridden by a guy, with a girl on the back of it, went into the back of the tuk-tuk, which then stopped immediately, with the driver getting out to inspect the damage. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and there was no obvious damage to his vehicle.

I was reflecting on my time in Sri Lanka as I drove back to Blackpool in the tuk-tuk this evening. Coming out here has probably been the most remarkable experience in my life, and I feel so privileged to have been given this opportunity to serve a group of people I had never even heard of a few years ago. The article in last night's blog should help you to see why this group of people now has such a special place in my heart.

Today's photographs are of a lovely trio f children coming home from school as I walked down the path to the main road. I then took four photographs showing you the huge variation of houses (the rich and the poor all mingled together) on my journey to Blackpool Junction, with a lovely photograph looking up the hillside on my way to Blackpool Junction.










Comments

  1. Good to get some social history, Keith - the article referred to is fascinating. I wonder if the smile on the faces of the school children bodes well for the future prosperity of Sri Lanka?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024