Monday 27th February 2023

I went into Nanu Oya School today, although I must tell you that its official title is Tea Leaf Centre Nuwara Eliya, as the key thing here is that it is in the Nuwara Eliya region, and Nanu Oya is just a small town within that region. Tea Leaf is having a rebrand and all the 'schools' will now be known as Tea Leaf Centres, which gets over the confusion of the charity in the UK being called Tea Leaf Trust, whereas the centres in Sri Lanka are known as Tea Leaf Vision.

I was catching up on some paperwork, and then accompanied Daya as he went to talk to a government official about the possibility of having a new building for Tea Leaf Centre Nuwara Eliya, as they have to vacate their current premises very soon because the landlord wants to take back control of the building. Our meeting was rather fruitless, which was frustrating as the time is ticking on for them.

I left mid-afternoon and took a tuk-tuk into town to do a small bit of shopping, before heading off to The Grand Hotel (I have no idea how many times I have been there, but of course you know by now that this is a very constant theme). I am now very much in 'final week mode', so I am taking the time for so many last goodbyes to everyone, having known many of these people for nearly 4 years now.

I got home to Blackpool quite early, and spent time sorting out some of my things, most of which I am hoping to give away or store away in the wardrobe in my room until I return to Sri Lanka next January. I want to take as little stuff back as possible, as it will give me more luggage space for the things that I have bought to take home. It will also mean I won't have to bring so much out with me when I come back next January.

Today's photos show activities taking place in Tea Leaf Centre Nuwara Eliya, plus a rather random one of a big gathering of pigeons on telegraph wires in the town centre.






Comments

  1. Thank you, Keith, for maintaining your blog throughout your third stay in Sri Lanka. It offers us a rare insight into the workings of the English language teaching industry in a society which has been heavily influenced by its former colonisers, but all the while demonstrates native strengths.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024