Tuesday 5th July 2022

It was a time for yet more goodbyes this morning, as I bid farewell to Daya, and then Jana, Yad, and Meena. I realised I hadn't got any photographs of Yad's mother Meena, so I took one quickly before I left this morning. I have been so well looked after by them, and I will always remember my time in Blackpool with much affection. I sincerely hope that I will be back gain as soon as I can.

Reggie picked me up just before 09:00 and we started our long journey to Colombo - an interesting drive, as you just drop lower and lower, and it becomes hotter and hotter, going from one climate zone to another. We got to the Colombo Swimming Club around 13:30, which was pretty good, mainly because there was so little traffic on the roads because of the terrible fuel crisis.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was told that there was a problem with the 'Deluxe' room that had been booked for me, and that they had upgraded me to a 'Super Deluxe' room. Obviously, I told them that I was delighted with that, and I am thrilled to have a beautiful room with a lovely view of the Indian Ocean, which is just a few feet away. It's a great chance for me to relax a little before travelling home.

I popped out for the afternoon for a walk, and visited the local Charles and Keith store, just for fun, but it was rather disappointing. The shop was extremely bare, and they told me that they were very low on stock, so I told them that I would have a word with Charles to see what we could do! I think retail outlets are suffering alongside everyone else in the country.

Kapila Mohotti, the current President of Colombo West Rotary Club, and Jit Seneviratne, a former President of the Club, joined me at the Colombo Swimming Club for drinks and dinner, and it was great to meet them both and chat about how the Rotary International Project had gone, and how we might continue to work together in the future. It was a very pleasant evening, which I greatly enjoyed.









Comments

  1. What a beautiful place to send your last days in Sri Lanka.
    (Sorry about the retail disappointment. It is not surprising that in the current economic crisis our fashion business should have fallen on relatively hard times. We will do what we can to avoid liquidation - in the hope the situation will have begun to improve by the time of your next visit...)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024