Sunday 27th October 2019

I was up very early today, as I was being picked up from the Goyambokka Guesthouse at 07.00 by tuk-tuk in order to catch the 07.30 direct bus from Tangalle to Nuwara Eliya. Unfortunately, when I got there, I was told that the bus would not be going due to a landslide on the road caused by the huge amount of rain that has fallen (I had been told yesterday that the landslide would be cleared by today). I was told I would need to get a bus to Wellawaya and then a second bus to Ella and a third bus from there to Nuwara Eliya. I got a bus to Wellawaya within minutes, but when I arrived at Wellawaya 2 hours later, I was then told that there were no buses to Ella or Nuwara Eliya today. This meant I either had to stay overnight in Wellawaya or get a taxi to Nuwara Eliya (as cars could take a route avoiding the landslide which was too narrow for buses). I decided to take the taxi and I managed to get to Nuwara Eliya just before 13.30, which was quite a relief!

I got dropped off at The Grand Hotel, as I knew the second semi-final of the Rugby World Cup between South Africa started at 14.30. I had a bit of lunch and then watched what turned out to be a very exciting game, with the sides being drawn at 16-16 until South Africa were awarded a penalty in the closing minutes, which they converted, so Wales were pipped 16-19 at the close of the game. This sets up an England versus South Africa final at 14.30 next Saturday, which I am very much looking forward to now.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024