Sunday 11th February 2024

I felt extremely sad leaving Blackpool this morning, as I am very nearly at the end of my time there now (but there is more to be said on that another time). Yohan, who is the husband of Tharika's boss, Agatha, was on time to pick me up to take me to Kurunegala, and we left dead on 11:00. It was a beautiful journey, but also quite tiring, and increasingly hot, as we descended towards the intense heat of Kurunegala, arriving four and a half hours later at around 15:30.

We stopped on the way for breakfast, and I couldn't resist also stopping to take a photo of Gandhi (as I forgot last time), and showing Yohan Tea Leaf Centre Pussellawa, Sadly, as it was Sunday, there was nobody there, so I had to be content with showing Yohan the outside, and taking a picture of him with the Tea Leaf Centre in the background. Eventually we arrived at Seasons Hotel, where I am staying for the next 9 nights, and is quite delightfully situated by Lake Kurunegala.

Madam Sandra (call me Sandra) picked me up at 17:30, supposedly to take me out for 'tea' (which is what Tharika had told me), but it turned into dinner instead. I chatted with Sandra over one of the nicest cups of coffee I have ever had in Sri Lanka, before Agatha and Tharika arrived. You cannot help but be impressed by Sandra, as she is one of the most successful women in Sri Lanka, and her values are so akin to what Tea Leaf Trust stands for, so we will get on very well.

The school is even bigger than I thought, with over 3,500 students. There are 902 students just in Agatha and Tharika's Nursery and Pre-School Department alone, and around 1,500 in the Junior School, where Sandra informed me that they are desperately looking for a Head! I politely declined the suggestion, as I am 66 next month, and I simply wouldn't have the energy to take up such a position, even if it was remotely possible!

Today's photos show Gandhi, and Tea Leaf Centre Pussellawa, the beautiful views from the balcony of my room at Seasons Hotel, the view from the hotel's lakeside restaurant, and dinner out this evening, including a shot of the beautiful prawn curry and sambal we all had with thick chunks of bread.










Comments

  1. Best wishes for this stage of your journey, Keith. As evidence of the main religion in the area, in your photo I see a large statue of the Buddha looking down on the lake (and gather Kurunegala was at one time the capital of Sri Lanka).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024