Friday 23rd February 2024

I was up very early this morning at Gobi and Kavi's in Bogawantalawa, but I ended up not being able to do very much, as there was a power cut not long after I started sorting myself out, and in the end Gobi gave me a powerful torch just so that I could pack my stuff up - not that I had taken very much anyway. We managed a quick cup of tea before Reggie arrived spot on 07:00 to take me to Nuwara Eliya, and he was in his car, not his tuk-tuk this time!

I realised that Isabelle was due to come back to Nuwara Eliya today too, so I called her to see what was happening, and Nilanga was due to bring her to Nuwara Eliya in his van - leaving at around 10:00. There was clearly no point in wasting valuable funds on that, so I arranged for us to drive to Maskeliya on our way home and pick Isabelle up. We informed Jesmin, and Nilanga, and then drove the beautiful route to Maskeliya - one of my favourite journeys.

We passed Daya's house on the way, so I dropped something off with his 'Auntie' for him at his house, not knowing quite when he would be back there, but certain that he would return there at some point in the next two or three weeks. It was lovely to see Nilanga and his wife Radha at Riverside Guest House in Maskeliya. I had a lovely time with them, and so has Isabelle, which certainly bodes well for continuing to use this place for future volunteers.

We popped in to see my good friend Aruni, with her husband Babu, on the way to Hatton. They are both going to Colombo on Sunday, so I have arranged to meet up with them for dinner on my last night in Sri Lanka next Wednesday. I dropped my stuff off in Blackpool, then went into Nuwara Eliya to meet up with Donald for lunch, followed by a bit of relaxation time at The Grand Hotel, before meeting up with Isabelle for dinner - it felt like one mad social whirl today!

Today you have two photographs of the Maskeliya reservoir (much more impressive in real life!), a nice one of Aruni, a few of Nuwara Eliya town, and a final one of a small 'early' surprise for Isabelle's 70th birthday next Wednesday 28th February, when I will be having my last night in Sri Lanka in Colombo. It has been a delight getting to know Isabelle, who has been a wonderful volunteer for Tea Leaf Trust (had to make do with 'Happy Birthday 70th' in the end, but this is Sri Lanka!).












Comments

  1. Today's blog has a particularly 'newsy' feel to it, Keith - you are a man on the move!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday 16th February 2024

Wednesday 14th February 2024

Saturday 6th January 2024